Mary has over thirty years of experience in the energy industry, having started her career in the UK oil and gas industry. She has been working in the field of sustainable and renewable energy since joining ETSU in 1989. As a Senior Consultant with LEX Energy Consulting she was instrumental in developing the renewables and carbon trading business. She has extensive experience in the regulatory, policy and commercial aspects of the power generation industry. She was a Director of TV Energy where she was responsible for developing in-house commercial expertise and for establishing the consulting section of the business. In 2008 she set up Blewburton with Ian Bacon to provide consultancy services to businesses in the front line of emerging climate change and sustainability policies. She is an experienced, licensed BREEAM and Code for Sustainable Homes and On Construction Domestic Energy (SAP) assessor. For the last 10 years she has primarily been working on BREEAM assessments.
Over the years her experience has included:
- Project management, working for different clients (various local authorities, housing developers, Utilities, banks and UK government departments).
- BREEAM Assessments in: Public, Commercial, Non-domestic refurbishment, Other Buildings
- Energy market strategies – for generators and users
- Domestic energy assessments for new build dwellings
- Support for planning applications particularly Low and zero carbon studies and sustainability reports
- Presentation and training
- Experience in assessing options for the introduction of small scale and micro on-site generation equipment
Outside work Mary is still busy with the family even though all three of her sons are pretty grown up. Nevertheless, she finds time to do plenty of sailing and is a qualified Senior Instructor. She is also on the sea staff for the sail training organisation The Discovery Project. She enjoys rowing and exploring the Forest of Dean which has recently become home.